Skip to main content

TFS Build and password protected strong name keys

A problem that I and many others have had occurs whe you use TFS Build to build projects that are signed with a password protected strong name key. When the project is built the first time in Visual Studio a dialog pops up prompting for the password. In an automated build process this dialog cannot be displayed, which results in the following error:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.Common.targets(1805,7): error MSB4018: The "ResolveKeySource" task failed unexpectedly.
System.InvalidOperationException: Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.
 at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
 at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
 at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ResolveKeySource.ResolveAssemblyKey()
 at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ResolveKeySource.Execute()
 at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(EngineProxy engineProxy, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, ITask task, Boolean& taskResult)

To work around this issue, follow these steps:
  1. Log on to the build server with the account used for tha automated builds (normally the TFS service account).
  2. Open a command prompt and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\
  3. Run msbuild "C:\Project\Project.sln" /t:rebuild for each project (.csproj) or solution (.sln) that contains password protected strong name keys.
  4. Enter the password when the prompt is displayed. The certificate is then saved in the certificate store for the service account.
  5. Restart the Visual Studio Team Foundation Build service.
When the certificates have been read into the certificate store for the build account an automated build should work as expected. This same solution is posted in several blogs, but most posts do not mention that a restart of the build service is required. However I had to do that before I got the automated builds to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Binding a HTML-formatted string to a WPF WebBrowser control

Sometimes there is a need to display a HTML formatted string in a WPF application. There are a couple of ways to do this, but the most stright forward is to use a WebBrowser control and the NavigateToString method. This approach has one big flaw, you cannot use binding to a string out of the box, but I found a great solution through Stack Overflow which adds a bindable property to the  WebBrowser  control using  NavigateToString . The following class is all that is needed to add that behavior. A new depencency property named Html is introduced to the  WebBrowser  and the proper change action is performed in the OnHtmlChanged method. public class BrowserBehavior { public static readonly DependencyProperty HtmlProperty = DependencyProperty.RegisterAttached( "Html", typeof(string), typeof(BrowserBehavior), new FrameworkPropertyMetadata(OnHtmlChanged)); [AttachedPropertyBrowsableForType(typeof(WebBrowser))] public static string GetHtml(WebBrowser bro

User.Identity returns old login name after name change

When a person gets married or makes a name change for some other reason this usually means that the login name for the Active Directory-account changes as well. This is rarely a problem, but it turned out to cause some issues on our web server, where the  User.Identity  property was still returning the old login name. The user logged on with the new login name, but was identified by the web application as the old login name. The reason this occurs is because the  User.Identity  property relies on the  LsaLookupSids  method to convert the user SID to a login name. The method first calls the local  LSA-cache , which is not synchronized with the Active Directory. For this purpose a simple reboot of the web server to clear the  LSA-cache  propably would have sufficed. But since we didn't want to take the application offline rebooting was not an option. Instead, it is possible to set the registry value  LsaLookupCacheMaxSize in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa. If this val

Using Bootstrap Tooltip to show Parsley validation errors

I'm currently working on a web application using a variety of different frameworks, such as Backbone for the back-end, Bootstrap for the front-end and Parsley for client side form validation.  Parsley is a really powerful validation toolkit, but it takes some tweaking to make it blend with the Bootstrap front-end. Fortunately this is a one time fix, which can be re-used all over our project. Since there will be some custom options in our  Parsley  object, we can't use the default parsley-validate attribute on the form. Instead we have to initialize the validation with the jQuery syntax: $('#my-form').parsley(parsleyOptions); The options are were the magic happens, and in our case we have a global options object that our forms use to get the same experience all over the application. Here's what it looks like: var parsleyOptions = {  // Sets success and error class to Bootstrap class names  successClass: 'has-success',  errorClass: 'has-er