Skip to main content

Programming AD with C#.NET – part 3

So far we have managed to exclude System.DirectoryServices because of our original issues, and System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement because of performance issues. What is left for us now is System.DirectoryServices.Protocols, and that is the namespace of our choice.

Generally the System.DirectoryServices.Protocols is pretty similar to System.DirectoryServices, so it is not a big deal to rebuild our existing classes to a newer version. But there are always some small obsacles that need to be conquered. A very good guide to get started with these classes is written by Ethan Wilansky and published on MSDN, Introduction to System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.

An small issue is that you always have to know if an attribute exists before you try to remove it. The same thing applies when an attribute is saved, you must know if it is a new attribute to be created or an existing attribute that should be updated. If an incorrect action is taken a DirectoryOperationException will be thrown. A simple solution for this problem is to add a PermissiveModifyControl to the request. This will make sure that add, edit and remove events is handled nicely without throwing any exceptions.

Paging a search result is another thing that could be a little tricky. With System.DirectoryServices you only had to set the PageSize on a DirectorySearcher and the paging was automatically handled. With System.DirectoryServices.Protocols we have got to deal with the paging ourselves. There are a lot more information about this in the article mention above, Introduction to System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.

One third little quirk I had was when creating user accounts.We need to be able to set the password, and with System.DirectoryServices.Protocols it is possible to modify the value unicodePwd. However there are a couple of things to keep in mind.:
  • A 128 bit encrypted channel must be used.
  • The password must be a byte array containing the password surrounded by quotation marks.
Here is a simple code sample that meets both of these demands:

LdapDirectoryIdentifier identifier = new LdapDirectoryIdentifier("server");
NetworkCredential credential = new NetworkCredential("user", "password", "domain");
using(LdapConnection connection = new LdapConnection(identifier, credential))
{
    connection.SessionOptions.Signed = true;
    connection.SessionOptions.Sealed = true;
    DirectoryAttribute[] attributes = new DirectoryAttribute[] {
        new DirectoryAttribute("objectClass", "user"),
        new DirectoryAttribute("userPrincipalName", "newAdAccount@domain.com"),
        new DirectoryAttribute("samAccountName", "newAdAccount"),
        new DirectoryAttribute("unicodePwd", Encoding.Unicode.GetBytes("\"passw0rd\""))
    };
    AddRequest request = new AddRequest("CN=newAdAccount,OU=Test,DN=domain,DN=com", attributes);
    connection.SendRequest(request);
}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to the cloud - part 1

I cannot with words describe the hype around the cloud today, and of course I had to join the croud. I have transferred all my applications, files and services to the cloud. I thought I would share some of the experiences and difficulties I have hit during my jourey. These are the steps I have performed in order to complete my move to the cloud: Most of my files are safely stored with  Dropbox . E-mail accounts for stodell.se  were moved from service provider to  Google Apps . The Cornball was moved from service provider to  Windows Azure och SQL Azure . This blog was moved from Wordpress at a service provider to  Google's Blogger . Even though  Loopia has been a great service provider during many years I have now been able to cancel all my services except the domain hosting with them. The replacement being free services and the Azure capacity that is included in the MSDN subscription.

Binding a HTML-formatted string to a WPF WebBrowser control

Sometimes there is a need to display a HTML formatted string in a WPF application. There are a couple of ways to do this, but the most stright forward is to use a WebBrowser control and the NavigateToString method. This approach has one big flaw, you cannot use binding to a string out of the box, but I found a great solution through Stack Overflow which adds a bindable property to the  WebBrowser  control using  NavigateToString . The following class is all that is needed to add that behavior. A new depencency property named Html is introduced to the  WebBrowser  and the proper change action is performed in the OnHtmlChanged method. public class BrowserBehavior { public static readonly DependencyProperty HtmlProperty = DependencyProperty.RegisterAttached( "Html", typeof(string), typeof(BrowserBehavior), new FrameworkPropertyMetadata(OnHtmlChanged)); [AttachedPropertyBrowsableForType(typeof(WebBrowser))] public static string GetHtml(WebBrowser bro

Getting started with Silverlight

In my work with the Cornball as my first Silverlight project I have had to solve a huge amount of problems which turned out to be quite a high threshold before I could get started with the development for real. Not the least in the difference between a WinForms application and a Silverlight application. In this post I will mention a couple of the things i encountered. Splash Screen/Preloader The builtin preloader in Silverlight does not look too bad, but it is definately more fun to create a custom preloader to fit with the rest of the application. I choose to create a very simple but functional preloader. First I had to include all the images as resources in the application for the preloader to actually have a purpose. By adding the images to the project and select Resource as Build Action the images will be included in the XAP-file. To show the images in the application, something of the following will do. XAML <Image Name="Card" Source="/SilverlightApplicatio